Listen to the mass media, some of the political class and too many of our political generals (active and retired) and you’ll hear why they want our sons, daughters and treasure to remain in Syria. They are all mistaken.
The common rationale heard today for staying in Syria include:
- The Islamic State (ISIS) will re-emerge.
- We are abandoning an ally – the Syrian Kurds.
- Abandoning the Kurds will hurt us strategically around the world.
- Turkish forces will commit genocide.
- Turkey has no legitimate claim against the Syrian Kurds.
- Staying in Syria is in our national interest.
- Pulling out of Syria will aid dictator Bashar al-Assad.
- Pulling out will destabilize the region.
What’s really at stake for the United States and these critics? Lots of ego among the Washington elite…